Local 23, A History of Success
On December 22, 1898 Plumbers, Gasfitters, Steamfitters and Steamfitters Helpers requested a charter be issued by the United Association. On January 1, 1899 the United Association granted Local 57 a charter.
On April 5, 1902 Local Union 328 Plumbers, Steamfitters, and Gas Fitters was chartered in Freeport, IL.
In 1915 thirteen members of Local Union 57 petitioned the United Association to form a separate Steamfitters and Steamfitters Helpers Local. On September 25, 1915 Local Union 210 was chartered. September 1, 1948 Local Union 57 and 210 merged to form Local Union 23, Rockford, IL.
On January 1, 1970 Local Union 328, Freeport, IL merged with Local Union 23, Rockford, IL. Joe Gillespie was the Business Representative for Local Union 328 when the merger took place.
Local 23 first opened their office at the Labor Temple at 212 South First Street in Rockford, IL. In the mid-60’s the office was moved to 325 Market Street where they shared the facility with the contractors association. The Market Street facility allowed Local 23 to set up a show room with various plumbing fixtures. In 1980 the membership decided they wanted their own building and moved to 4623 Boeing Drive. June 1, 1999 the Local moved into their newly constructed 21,0000 sq ft building at 4525 Boeing Drive, Rockford, IL. Since that time, the building has expanded with two new additions totaling an additional 10,000 sq ft.
Page Last Updated: Aug 30, 2010 (13:10:03)